7 Tips for Going Green
04/15/2019 | dunnedwards |
Welcome to Earth Month! Throughout April — and in particular, Earth Day on April 22 — more than 1 billion people in over 192 countries across the globe will raise awareness of the importance of caring for our planet.
What does this mean for you? Potential tenants are increasingly concerned about the health and well-being of our environment, which equates to greater interest in your properties. There are many reasons why being eco-efficient can help your business — from simply helping your eco-conscious clients be kinder to the Earth, to ensuring that their living spaces contain fewer harmful chemicals.
At Dunn-Edwards, every day is Earth Day. Since the beginning, we've been proud pioneers in formulating the safest, most-effective paints possible — from voluntarily removing lead, mercury biocides and ethylene glycol from our paints, to introducing our line of low- and Zero-VOC paints. Led by our Greener by Design philosophy, we made our planet’s and our customers’ health and well-being our top priority long before our competitors did and even before federal regulators called for these changes. From our Earth- and human-friendly ingredients and our transparent labeling, to our LEED Gold-certified paint manufacturing facility and other innovative equipment and processes, we have always been on the cutting-edge of eco-consciousness.
How can you leverage that idea to generate new and repeat business? There are a number of ways to promote the use of green products to draw new tenants and keep the ones you already have:
- Inform your potential clients about Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) — The majority of Dunn-Edwards products are low-VOC or no-VOC. Educate your clients about these paint chemicals— and how you are not using them — and they might choose your property which could mean more business!
- Green Roofs — If you have a large flat roof, you might want to think about installing a green roof by partially or completely covering it with vegetation and other plants. Green roofs have multiple benefits: they reduce stormwater runoff, they cut energy consumption because they naturally keep roofs cool, and they can increase roof life and may be a tax credit-eligible in certain areas. Everybody wins!
- Car-charging Stations — No, an electric car-charging station won’t lower your bills, but it does make a property more eco-attractive for those who own electric vehicles. It also shows that your property is socially responsible. There are tax credits in some states for installing a charging station. Check out this interactive map from ChargePoint for rebate programs in each state.
- Go Paperless — If you haven’t already, this is the year to stop wasting paper and start interacting with your tenants electronically. Fact is, pulp and paper is the third-largest industrial polluter in the U.S. But, never fear! Going paperless isn’t as tough as you think. Try one of many property management software programs or go with a mobile app. Even for small properties, ditching paper can make a big impact.
- Living Walls — Not only are living walls a feature that can beautify your property, but they are also eco-friendly and make spaces healthier. While most commonly found in office spaces, living walls are sprouting up more and more at shopping malls, apartments, restaurants and hotels. Click here to read about the benefits of installing a living wall.
- Solar Panels — Looking for tax credits? One great way is to install solar panels. Not only will you cut utility costs, but you’ll also reduce your property’s carbon footprint. It’s true they don’t work for all properties; but, with innovations in solar panel technology, they are now available to a wider range of structural types.
- Lighting — In today’s world, “conventional” lighting is inefficient and outdated. LED bulbs utilize 75 percent less energy than traditional bulbs. Large retrofit projects that replace existing lighting with LEDs can pay for themselves in about two to three years, with energy savings lasting long after.
As we celebrate the “greenest” month of the year, now is the ideal time to embrace the movement and help preserve our Earth — not to mention, grow your business!