September Color of the Month: Spice of Life (DET439)
09/05/2019 | specs+spaces staff |
Why Spice of Life Is September’s Color of the Month
September ushers in a shift – days slowly get shorter, school is back in session, and fall colors and scents return to shelves and design catalogs. Knowing the long, hot days of summer are drawing to a close can make us feel reflective and focused on things to come. That’s why September’s Color of the Month is Spice of Life (DET439), a color that with its rich depth embodies the urge to reflect, connect and appreciate life.
Photo Credit: Bethany Nauert Photography
What’s The Inspiration Behind Spice of Life
Spice of Life (DET439) is a dark, brownish-red with undertones of orange. In addition to having that quintessential autumnal feel, the earthy hue is also a nod to the great American West, filled with adventure.
We love the color so much we also named it color of the year for 2019. Use it to make a bold, dramatic statement in any room. The versatile color can be incorporated in modern and traditional designs alike.
Designing With Earthy Reds
For a wealth of inspiration you might see how designer Christoper Kennedy used Spice of Life in 2019’s Modernism Week Showcase Home, or how the paint color inspired designer Samantha Williams to make over this home. We might also suggest the below tips when designing with September’s Color of the Month:
- For modern or contemporary spaces, pair this warm neutral with crisp white, cool gray, and black. Try Gray Wolf (DE6354) and Warm White (DEW380).
- Bring out its traditional side by using cream, khaki, and deep blue. Try Kiln Dried (DET692) and Blue Suede Shoes (DEA190).
- Give your space a more natural, earthy look by using Spice of Life with cool sage greens like Flagstone Quartzite (DET517).
- The color also pairs well with other autumnal hues including clay, yellow and deep green. Try Peppered Moss (DEA169) and Pottery Clay (DET437).
- Inspiring Shades of Pink for Victorian Architecture
- Popular Color Palettes Through The Decades: 1970s—2010s
- Desert Oasis Luxury Show House: Polynesian Culture Meets Mid-Century Design
- This San Diego Artist Gave Her Living Room ‘70s Style Pool Party Makeover
- Dunn-Edwards Portraits: Paris, a Pandemic and the Process of Design