April Color of the Month: Spring Buttercup
04/11/2018 | specs+spaces staff |
The month of April gets its name from the Latin word “aperit," meaning to open. It’s fitting because, of course, April is the month when flowers and trees begin to bloom — spring is in full swing. April is when we bask in those first few warm rays of sunshine and watch the daffodils bloom. April’s versatility and joyful nature is why we chose Spring Buttercup (DE5310) as this month’s color.
Dunn-Edwards' Spring Buttercup is the personification of the month of April. It’s warmth and cheerfulness invoke feelings of happiness and a readiness for new beginnings. This soft shade of yellow is a great way to bring that warmth into a space while not being overwhelming and more importantly, pastels like Spring Buttercup are one of the hottest color trends of the year. We’ve even put together some tips on how to use pastels in a way that still keeps your space feeling mature.
Designing With Soft Yellows
● Get nostalgic. Dunn-Edwards color expert Sara McLean notes that nostalgic whimsy is one of this spring's hottest color trends. To complete the look use soft yellows, such as Spring Buttercup, alongside aquas, soft purples, and light, bubblegum-inspired shades of pink.
● Spring Buttercup is a paint color that allows you to add interest to a room while maintaining its visual square footage, since it doesn’t make a room feel any smaller. Therefore, it’s an ideal paint color in smaller-sized spaces, which don’t receive much sunlight. Apply Spring Buttercup to add an instant dose of airiness
to a space.
● Some colors that compliment this soft yellow well and serve as accents are Sparkling Cider (DEW321) and Siamese Kitten (DE6121).
● Bring major contrast to your kitchen with this soft yellow. Set off sleek black cabinetry against Spring Buttercup walls for a chic, modern update on a Victorian-inspired look.
● Go coastal with this soft yellow. Pair Spring Buttercup with soft and deeper blue hues for a fitting spring interior refresh.
This interior and exterior paint color is flexible and all-around functional in any space. To get started on bringing some sunshine indoors, download our Insta-Color® app and simply upload a photo from your personal library, or one from ours, to give the space an instant paint makeover. Dunn-Edwards Paints is committed to bringing you the highest-quality paint that is also trusted by both design experts and painting
professionals. Once you’ve settled on some colors you would like to sample, click this link to receive your free samples!
All photography by STRUKTR Studios
- Inspiring Shades of Pink for Victorian Architecture
- Popular Color Palettes Through The Decades: 1970s—2010s
- Desert Oasis Luxury Show House: Polynesian Culture Meets Mid-Century Design
- This San Diego Artist Gave Her Living Room ‘70s Style Pool Party Makeover
- Dunn-Edwards Portraits: Paris, a Pandemic and the Process of Design