November’s color of the month is Smashed Grape (DE5963). A color perfectly fitting as we roll towards year’s end; a time when it seems there’s a celebration, and a wine glass to be filled, around every corner. So with wine flowing, the aroma of fresh baked pie filling the air, and family and friends all around us, we toast to this November color of the month. This shade of light, blue-hued purple adds a fun a luxe pop of color to the month’s festivities.
Purple is of course a classic and elegant hue, and one that we see as a major trend. In fact, purple makes its way into “Country Caper," one of our color trend stories for 2019. Purple presents drama and casually colorful opulence, notes Dunn-Edwards color expert Sara McLean. Opulent indeed! Purple, particularly darker tones, are perhaps best known for their association with royalty.
DESIGNING WITH PURPLES
Smashed Grape (DE5963) is versatile and can be used in spaces with a more mature ambiance or in a space designed to feel youthful. Here are some versatile ways to make purple the perfect pop of color in your space.
- Keep it elegant. Smashed Grape pairs well with neutrals for an elegant touch. If you want your purple to exude elegance, try pairing it with the cool undertones of Antique Paper (DE6218). Or, try the calming earthy hue of Flintstone (DE6221) as an accent with purple.
- Want to play up purple’s luxurious personality? Try adding metallic accents to your space, such as copper and silver.
- Whimsy wanted: For a dose of California whimsy, take a page out of the Saguaro Hotel playbook when it comes to pairing purple. Go with electric shades of pink, yellow, and orange as accents for a vibrant take on this tone.
- Turn up the drama. Like a bold wine, purple painted rooms are well served in a monochromatic space. Play with similar shades, such Concord Jam (DE5964), when it comes to furniture and accents alike.
- Be mysterious. The color purple has the ability to serve up a hefty dose of mystery and intrigue. To achieve this affect, pair purple with shades of blues like Cobalt (DEA140) or Ocean Night (DE5901).
Trusted by designers and paint professionals alike, Dunn-Edwards is committed to providing you with only the best quality paint that will make any of your spaces feel luxurious and modern. Try our InstaColor® app to give preview your color choices by giving your space an virtual paint job. Just upload a photo from your library, or use one from ours, to give your space an instant paint makeover!