Craftsman homes have long been a favored architectural style of homeowners with their charming details and simple, clean design. And with a resurging interest in the history and design of Arts and Crafts era and resulting Craftsman bungalow designs, color inquiries for this home style are at an all-time high.
Nods to nature frame the architectural details that define the home including columns framing front porches, overhanging eaves, and low-pitched rooflines and even the incorporation of field stone or other natural material on some designs. Interior features include impressive fireplaces, built-ins and thick molding details around doors and windows. These characteristics need a strong color palette to show off all the architectural
assets of the home.
Neutral palettes are the color pillars of Craftsman homes with a range of browns and tans complemented by clay and copper reds, fall golds, nature-inspired greens and watery blues an ideal beginning to completing a
palette. Here are 14 popular browns for Craftsman architecture including a selection from our historically-accurate Then, Now & Forever Collection:
And here are 8 preset Craftsman exterior color schemes using various shades of brown from our in-store color card selection for additional guidance:
Brown Color Palettes for Craftsman Architecture
To highlight the best of Craftsman design and create a color palette using the color brown, consider these five ideas to get you started:
- Exterior: Beige and Warm White with Rock and Wood Accents. This subtle palette blends in with the natural surroundings, creating a restful home base.
Body: DET633 TRAIL BLAZER. Garage Door and Accent: DET653 HISTORIC WHITE
- Interior Modern Craftsman: Light Tan, Honey, Chocolate, Crisp White and Rust. Modern Craftsman homes lean toward white trimwork though the tradition of lots of trim and built-ins is a must. Clean lines on furnishings, no fussiness in tile and decor details and a polished balance of warm and cool complete the modern Craftsman aesthetic.
Walls: DE6191 Exclusive Ivory. Trimwork and Molding Details: DEW340 Whisper.
- Classic Craftsman Entryway. Sand and Cream with Warm Hardwood and Black Iron Light Fixtures. The classic Craftsman entry highlights trim work, a robust staircase system, and hardwood floors along with a beautiful wood front door. This modern version with painted trim balanced against the warmth of the floors and door is a welcome sight for guests.
Walls: DE6185 Light Aspiration. Trim: DEW338 White Heat
- Bring on the Drama: The stark contrast of deep chocolate with crisp white showcases the elegance of a Craftsman bungalow room. Deep window seats piled with pillows and cushions, built-ins displaying collections of books and ceramics and a finishing color palette additions of teal, orange and yellow create a refined and chic space.
Walls: DEA161 Wild Mustang. Trim: DEW325 Vanilla Shake
- Historic Arts and Crafts artwork: William Morris was a British textile designer, poet, artist, printer and novelist associated with the British Arts and Crafts movement. His designs became integral to the movement and the play of color with nature-influenced themes are still widely used today. Look to a favorite design and pull a color palette that will work beautifully in a Craftsman home.
Colors matched to: DE6117 WARM HEARTH, DE6107 BREAKFAST BISCUIT, DEA147 GARNET EVENING, DET439 SPICE OF LIFE, DE5905 LARKSPUR BUD, DE5201 SWEET POTATO, DEA107 HOT JAZZ
Check out more of our past ideas and information on Craftsman style architecture, along with further research on color palettes for Craftsman exteriors. Interested in our historically-accurate Craftsman colors? Read more on our process and results of the palette. And check out why we chose Art and Craft (DET682) as our 2022 Color of the Year.