Since 1925, Dunn-Edwards Corporation has been the leading manufacturer and supplier of architectural and industrial coatings in the Southwest, providing a complete line of paints and painting supplies to professionals and quality-conscious consumers.

History 01 Frank “Buddy” Dunn founded the company in 1925, not as a paint maker but as a wallpaper store in Los Angeles. The business expanded as he added a line of paints, and later (with two employees) he began manufacturing his own paints in the backroom of the company’s second store.



History 02 In 1938, he partnered with his friend Arthur C. Edwards, a former painting contractor and pigment salesman, to form the Dunn-Edwards Corporation. Sales immediately improved, and a business philosophy was born: “Make the finest line of paint and give the best service at fair prices.” It’s a philosophy that endures through this day.


Important Milestones

2015

Dunn-Edwards celebrates its 90th year in business! Watch the video.

2013

Dunn-Edwards launches EVEREST,® an ultra-premium, Zero VOC paint that is self-priming

2011

Dunn-Edwards opens world’s first LEED® Gold-certified paint manufacturing facility in Phoenix, AZ

2010

First to use RAVOC rating; a better way to quantify VOC content of coatings

2008

The 100th store, located in Fullerton, CA opens

2000

Dunn-Edwards enters cooperative venture to produce and distribute recycled latex paint

1995

Dunn-Edwards creates SIERRA®, its first low odor, Zero VOC paint

1986

Dunn-Edwards enters the Las Vegas, Nevada market

1983

Dunn-Edwards is one of the first manufacturers to voluntarily replace ethylene glycol (EG) with propylene glycol, a safer, more environmentally friendy ingredient in our water-base paint

1979

Dunn-Edwards discontinues use of mercury biocides in latex paints, 11 years ahead of the partial ban by the EPA

1974

Dunn-Edwards expands its manufacturing in Arizona by opening the Tempe factory and store

1960

Main Office expands and moves from downtown Los Angeles to Vernon

1956

Dunn-Edwards expands into Arizona and Northern California markets

1954

Dunn-Edwards discontinues last remaining lead-based paint, 24 years ahead of the ban by the Federal Government

1938

Arthur C. Edwards joins the company, which shortly becomes the Dunn-Edwards Corporation

1937

Los Angeles factory opens

1936

The company changes its name to Dunn’s, Inc.

1927

Company begins to sell paint products and becomes the Consolidated Wallpaper and Paint Corporation

1925

Dunn-Smith Company formed; soon becomes Consolidated Wallpaper Corporation, with its first store on Figueroa St., Los Angeles