March Color of the Month: Sprig of Mint (DE5675)
03/10/2021 | specs+spaces staff |
Why Sprig of Mint is March’s Color of the Month
We’re talking about our latest color of the month. When it comes to March, we’re looking at a transitional month that bridges two distinct seasons. One day can be cold, icy and wet, and another can be lit with warm bursts of sunshine. In the West, March ushers in rain and brings soil back to life again, allowing the landscape to glow with a verdant hue. All of which makes Sprig of Mint (DE5675), a jovial light green paint color, the ideal color focus on this month.
Last March, we highlighted our 2020 Color of the Year Minty Fresh, a delightfully light shade of green with just enough saturation to make a bold, yet soothing statement. One year later, we’re highlighting a different kind of mint; one that packs a punch with a slightly deeper shade of mint green, one infused with lime green undertones. Sprig of Mint is featured in our 2021 color + design trend story Hanabi. Hanabi is a palette filled with pastel hues that are inventive, light-hearted, and laid-back. Sprig of Mint is crisp and refreshing, like bright green mint that reminds us of the whimsy and excitement of childhood days spent at the ice cream shop.
A Resurgence of Pastel Perfection
Pastel hues are always go-to shades for spring, but they’ve seen a resurgence of late, across fashion, interior design and popular culture. Look no further than the magnificently beautiful pastel lighting of last year’s film Emma or the costume design in Netflix’s breakout hit Bridgerton to know that frothy shades of mint, peach, yellow and blue are making their mark across all forms of media and design.
Designing with Mint Greens Colors
- Make a statement in a bedroom or living room with Sprig of Mint on the walls but keep the ceiling and baseboards light in a complementary color like Glamour White (DEW348) or Studio White (DE6065).
- Mints and sages are great options for exterior trim and door colors, especially on white or off-white Spanish style homes. In fact, see how Create & Cultivate Founder Jaclyn Johnson paired a misty green front door with her home’s off-white exterior.
- Bring the outside in by using Sprig of Mint or similar mint tones inside an accessible dwelling unit in the backyard or sun room that opens to the outdoors.
- Add some fun and light-heartedness into a mudroom with Sprig of Mint on the walls. Complement storage cubbies or hanging areas with a stately or fun floral wallpaper.
Want to see more of our past March color of the month callouts? Click here for 2020, here for 2019, and here for 2018 to find some of favorite colors for spring. And for a look at more of the latest trends to expect throughout 2021, see what some of our favorite Los Angeles designers have to say.
- Best Oranges for the Perfect Summer Beach Cottage
- Get Ready for Fall with These Trendy Color + Design Moods
- Try These Color Palettes To Nail A Tomato Girl Summer At Home
- Embracing Barbiecore: Popular Pinks Throughout The Ages
- The Color Yellow: Essential Color Theory, Symbolism and Design Application