5 Word-of-Mouth Tips to Grow Your Business
08/13/2018 | dunnedwards |
As a contractor, you may spend nearly as much time drumming up new business as you do on your actual job — but did you know that leveraging your past work can be one of the most effective ways of creating new opportunities? Word-of-mouth marketing is among the strongest (and cheapest) tools available for finding new customers, and here are five tips for using your best work to your advantage:
- Nurture your relationships — One of the best ways to keep busy is to cultivate customers for life. You’ve done great work for them so make sure the next time they need a painter, you are their go-to person. How do you do this? Simple! Make sure your customers are satisfied and take the time to stay in contact with past clients. Send them periodic emails thanking them for their business. In fact, consider highlighting the work you’ve done for them in your outreach (whether on- or off-line). Word of caution: Limit your communication to once a month or once a quarter, as over-engagement can leave a bad impression with some customers.
- Ask satisfied customers to refer you to family and friends — Referrals are, above all, the best advertising you can do. Have business cards and other literature available for your current clients to pass onto others. In addition, social media apps/sites, such as Facebook or Nextdoor, are chock full of potential clients looking for good recommendations. If you have customers who are on those sites, let them know you appreciate any and all referrals.
- Track your leads — We understand how busy you can be, especially during the warmer months. Still, it’s vital to develop and maintain a list of your past customers. This way, you can keep the lines of communication open and ensure you will be top of mind — either when your clients need additional work or they are asked for a recommendation.
- Reward people who refer you — It’s always smart to ask new clients how they heard about you. This way, you can let those who recommend you know that you appreciate the kind word and the referral. If a potential customer mentions a previous customer, follow up with a gift or personalized note. It’s amazing how much a token of thanks can create goodwill.
- Let us help you — Dunn-Edwards is proud to be your paint partner, and we are happy to help you promote your business! We offer customizable marketing tools, as well as feature a Find a Paint Pro directory on our website. In addition customers come in to pick out paint without having a contractor to guide them. Feel free to post your business card on our bulletin boards at your local store. If you have questions, simply talk to one of our one employees and ask for recommendations.
We at Dunn-Edwards appreciate your continued business and partnership, and are always here to help you succeed. Happy painting!