Learn step-by-step how-to paint an old, tired-looking piece of furniture and turn it into a brand new looking piece that you’ll love for years to come.
Step by Step Painting Wooden Furniture Directions:
How to Paint Wood Furniture:
- Protect the floor and yourself. Put down a drop cloth. Use masks, gloves, and a well-ventilated area.
- Place the furniture on the drop cloth.
- Prep the piece by removing extra hardware or dirt by wiping clean.
- Patch any chips or holes with wood filler. Apply to the most damaged parts only.
- Sand the furniture with the grain — removing any finish. Start with 100 grit and finish with 200.
- Wipe down with a wet rag.
- Apply a quality wood primer or multi-surface primer.
- Now for the painting: Feather the close areas and finish with the easier wide surfaces.
- Allow to dry and inspect for any mistakes. Apply a second coat as needed and allow a whole day to dry.
- Apply a clear finish and allow to completely dry.