The Significance of Green Color In the Home
Green is one of the most popular colors in the world and can be used throughout home interior design projects to bring a client's vision to life. As an interior design professional it is important that you understand the specific meaning of the color green and how different shades can be used. Analyzing the effects of individual shades will also help you create color palettes that feel fresh and encourage feelings of renewal and relaxation.
Meanings of Green
When you are examining the meaning of the color green, it is obvious to assume it is connected to the natural surroundings and promotes a sense of freshness. It is also the color of fertility and rebirth just as the spring flowers grow and bloom each year. Green has also become the universal color for ecology and has even been used as a verb in recent years. Shades of green have also been known to encourage energy restoration.
Green and Your Vision
Vision science has proven that an individual's eyes react quicker to a green exit sign vs. a red sign. The bold green color stands out against the smoke and the flames and can help lead people to safety. Green is also an important color when discussing color blindness. 99% of individuals that are color blind suffer from a red/green deficiency. These individuals have varying degrees of difficulty when trying to differentiate between shades of red and green.
Green Color Paint in Interior Home Design
Did you know that there are more shades of green than any other color? The shades range from the lightest yellow green to the darkest emerald green. These colors can be used in a variety of ways in home design. Since green is known to increase efficiency it is an ideal shade for use in a home office. Green is also a versatile color that can be used in a variety of color palettes as either a neutral shade or a focal color. Shades with a blue tinge, including aqua or turquoise, are ideal in combination with sleek white walls and pops of color in accessories or linens.
Effects of Green
When examining the meaning of the color green it is important to also take a look at the effects it may have on an individual. It is known to revitalize when someone is emotionally, physically, or mentally tired. It is the most predominant color on Earth and nurtures individuals to feel well and renewed. Negative effects of green include envy, possessiveness, and greed. When using green in a client's interior design you should spend time analyzing the effect each shade can have on an individual, both positively and negatively.
Different Shades of Green Color
Examining the meaning of the color green requires an assessment of individual shades. Each shade elicits different feelings and should be used strategically.
- Lime green encourages playfulness and creativity. It can also promote feelings of anticipation and may increase positive feelings.
- Light green represents a fresh start. Much like the new growth of leaves, it indicates a youthful feeling but may also suggest inexperience.
- Jade green often represents a generous spirit. This shade may also be utilized to encourage trust, diplomacy, and tact. It is named after the rare gem jade and can also promote feelings of wealth and security.
- Olive green is often a sign of peace. It can represent a strength that has overcome adversity and promotes peace. Not surprisingly, the olive branch is the international sign of peace.
- Dark green promotes feelings of wealth and ambition. However, it can also indicate feelings of greed and selfishness.
- Emerald green suggests wealth and abundance. It can be used to represent mental, spiritual, and physical well-being.
- Yellow green can promote feelings of conflict, fear, and cowardice. It may be difficult to find a color palette in which yellow green can stand out as a positive shade.
- Grass green is a deep color that feels natural and fresh. It can also indicate feelings of self-confidence and security.
If you would like to learn more about colors, including the meaning of the color green, visit us online at www.dunnedwards.com today. We have gathered a variety of resources, tutorials, and links that can help you during your next design project. Our team is committed to helping interior design professionals find the perfect colors for their next projects.