Why Splish Splash is July’s Color of the Month
When it comes to our July Color of the Month, we’re featuring Splish Splash (DE5844), a midtone lapis blue that begs us to slather on the sunscreen, grab friends and jump into the closest body of water. Aside from sunny yellows, there are few other colors more fitting for the epic summer season than blue, a color so entrenched as a part of Americana that it’s perfectly fitting on a classic Craftsman style home as it is on a Mid-Century one.
Splish Splash reminds us that when the mercury rises, the height of summer fun is frolicking with friends in and around alluring, azure waters. To gear up for the 4th of July, grab an iced cold drink, lay back on your floatie, and let our refreshing July Color of the Month, Splish Splash, guide you through making the most of your design choices this summer.
Why The Color Blue Is Healing For Summer
Like its fellow Perfect Palette® hue Pool Party (DE5837), which cooled us down last July, Splish Splash and other blue tones are summer mainstays for many reasons. Crisp blue shades help counteract all the color warmth of the summer light and heat we feel during the season. Plus, with long days spent vacationing and enjoying the outdoors, we turn our attention to the endless hours of blue sky and our desire to jump into refreshing water, recognizing how much the color blue is part of our natural world in all its shades of cobalt, azure and aqua. The desire to be around mysterious and serene blues, like those found in the ocean and other bodies of water, have long since been a driving force in top vacation destinations.
Blue colors feel of the moment right now, featuring heavily in our Meraki and Elysian color stories, part of our new 2022 Color + Design Trends. Meraki is fueled by soothing colors like blues to help facilitate a renewed journey to balance and wellness, while the latter color story uses saturated blues and other hues that evoke the bold joy we feel amid new scientific discoveries and an optimistic future.
Designing with Lapis Blues
- When using Splish Splash on dining room or living room walls, balance the bold color out by pairing with calmer complementary accent colors like light blue Ice Castle (DE5840) and warm neutral color of Sand Dune (DE6128).
- Create a beachy California-living vibe, or channel the classic blue and white color scheme of Greece when you choose to work with Splish Splash and accents of White Heat (DEW338) for an impactful design moments.
- Bring some creativity to your outdoor living spaces by painting backyard furniture, walls and gardening containers in fun shades of lapis blues.
- Pair a lapis blue like Splish Splash with natural wood tones in a child or teen’s room for an youthful space with a hint of organic sophistication.
- If the idea of painting a whole room in blue is intimidating, try painting the ceiling in a lapis blue like Splish Splash to inject a dose of blue skies into your every day. Whether a library, sitting room or porch ceiling, a burst of blue above (especially when paired with crisp white walls) can be the impactful design moment that will keep your head held high.
For more more on our past favorite azure colors of the month and resources on working with these bold blue shades, click here.