As we highlight our August Color of the Month Water Baby (DE5780), we want to call back to the previously reported fact that blue is a major color trend for 2020. From our Fresh & Free color trend story to Elle Decor highlighting rich blues and jewel tones that echo the decadent hues of last century’s Roaring 20s, blue is blissful. Watery blues can be the perfect antidote to 2020’s tumult and uncertainty, as these tones are ideal for achieving quiet, cleansing moments of reflection.
While young Gen Zers tend to favor bright hues like yellow and orange, designers believe Millennials will continue dabbling in rich color, and according to My Domaine, are more likely to choose darker hues like purple and blue.
Why Water Baby is August’s Color of the Month
In the blazing August sun, there’s no other place we’d rather be than near water sipping cocktails poolside at a destination like the Viceroy Los Cabos or waist-high catching an ocean wave. With bright summer sunshine, blue hues help cool the eyes, bringing balance to the natural world around us. We are paying homage to the importance of water with our August Color of the Month, Water Baby (DE5780), a blue hue that is both full of energy and serene all at once. This shade possesses a punchy brightness reminiscent of vibrant Mediterranean island waters or the glistening ripples in a backyard pool.
Designing with Water Baby
- This bright hue is best ideal in laundry rooms, powder rooms, or pool houses where the small spaces beckon creativity and playfulness with color.
- Get a luxe coastal vibe by pairing Water Baby with gold hardware and accents, or using the hue on dining room walls, above wainscotting.
- Round out Water Baby’s energetic feel with complementary hues such as a trim of White Heat (DEW338) and accent of Bisque Tan (DE6157).
- Pairing Water Baby with hues from our 2020 Neu Traditions color trend story is right out of the Grandmillennial playbook, layering vibrant colors that harken back to Regency and Victorian time periods with softer, sophisticated shades.
- Like July’s color of the month, use Water Baby on a front door for enhanced curb appeal.
Has Water Baby piqued your interest in other nature-inspired shades for your space? We wouldn’t be surprised, as it’s typical to embrace natural earth tones, like browns, blues and greens in times of turmoil, making our Co-Habitants color trend story very appropriate to today’s world. Are you a fan of Water Baby but a little shy about committing to the color? Use our InstaColor® app, and digitally test out the waters (pun intended) before painting a wall.