May’s color of the month is First Lilac (DE5981). This hot color trend is evokes elegance and grace. First Lilac is the ideal shade of purple that easily finds a balance between spring and summer. This top-performing interior paint color is perfect for commercial or residential spaces.
Photo Credit: STRUKTR StudiosThe History of Lilac
The color lilac originates from the flower of the same name. Lilac is said to represent love and emotion. In fact, Greek mythologists trace the lilac flower back to a story in which Pan, the God of the forests and fields, was infatuated with a beautiful nymph named Syringa (also Lilac’s botanical name) and chased her through the forest. Out of fear of Pan’s persistence - and to escape Pan’s pursuit - Syringa turns herself into a fragrant bush. That bush, as the story goes, is of course what we refer to as lilac.
The name of Dunn-Edwards paint color First Lilac (DE5981), however, is inspired by the new beginnings associated with the spring’s first flower. This is because the bloom of the lilacs is an indicator of the beginning of the spring season.
Photo Credit: STRUKTR StudiosHow To Use First Lilac Paint Color?
What’s great about spring paint color First Lilac is its versatility. This interior paint is a gentle hue; as a result it’s perfect for an number of rooms and design styles. For example, with this top interior paint color, create a contemporary living space, a soft and luxurious bedroom, or an inviting office. Whichever way it is used, this color trend brings an appealing delicacy to any room. First Lilac also allows for an easy pairing of accent colors and furniture.
● The soft appearance of First Lilac is ideal in nurseries, bedrooms and guest rooms. Try combining it with other shades of lavender and mauve, like Dunn-Edwards Sheer Lavender (DE5980), Violet Crush (DE5946), or Tranquil Eve(DE5952).
● For use in common areas like the living room or home office, mixing in shades of gray or white with this color of the month will create a gender-neutral space for all to enjoy. Dunn-Edwards interior colors like Igloo (DEW379) or December Sky (DE6352) would be a great pairing.
● Incorporate opposing colors such as yellows. Golden yellow paint colors like 2017 Color of the Year Honey Glow (DE5354) will create a vibrant and playful pairing with First Lilac.
● Mix in playful textures and bold prints in the form of area rugs, curtains, throw blankets, and accent pillows. They’ll help your space embrace the romance and whimsy that lilac symbolizes.
● For a never-fail traditional color pairing when using First Lilac, incorporate pops of soft creams, like Swiss Coffee (DEW341) or warm neutrals such as Thatched Roof (DE6177).
Photo Credit: STRUKTR Studios
Dunn-Edwards First Lilac is composed of the highest quality paint trusted by both design experts and painting professionals. Dunn-Edwards is committed to bringing you the freshest paint colors for commercial, residential, and exterior uses. Get ahead of this color trend, use our InstaColor ® app to see what your walls will look like in First Lilac right now! Just upload a picture or choose one from our library, then give it a paint job.