Choosing the Right Roller Cover


Just like choosing the right paint for your jobs, selecting the best roller cover, whether woven or knitted, can save you time and money, while leaving you with a professional, finished look. When choosing the cover, there are two factors to keep in mind — the sheen level of the paint you’ll be using and the surface you’ll be painting. Roller covers are made with a variety of materials, so it’s important when selecting a cover that you have a good understanding of cover options so that you can get the best results.


Woven Rollers: The Dunn-Edwards line of Pro White rollers are excellent professional woven rollers. They are available in several nap sizes.


 C9DEE (1/4" nap)     C9DES (3/8" nap)     C9DEM (1/2" nap)     C9DEL (3/4" nap)


For enamel paints — such as eggshell, semi gloss and gloss paints — a quality woven roller is recommended. Woven rollers provide a smooth finish and are more shed-resistant for lint-free finishes, making them perfect for clean, even surfaces like drywall. You will find that woven rollers are an excellent choice when painting your kitchen or bathroom and, with the right size and technique, finishing your project will be quick and easy.


Knitted Rollers: Dunn-Edwards provides two lines of knitted roller: the professional Emerald and the economical Contractor’s Edge lines of rollers.


Emerald Rollers 

E912 (1/2" nap)       E934 (3/4" nap)


Contractor's Edge Rollers — 6 Pack

CE-938 (3/8" nap)    CE-934 (3/4" nap) 


When applying paints with a flat or satin finish, primers or sealers, it is best to use a knitted roller. Knitted rollers do not leave as smooth a finish as woven rollers and may occasionally shed when used, so it’s important you pay close attention to your surfaces as you are applying your paint and primer. (No one wants leftovers stuck to their walls!) On the plus side, knitted rollers hold more paint than woven covers, perfect for rougher surfaces or areas with more texture. You may consider using knitted covers when painting bedrooms, hallways and living rooms.


Another important factor to consider when choosing a roller cover is the surface you’ll be painting. The general rule when choosing a roller nap is, the smoother the surface, the shorter the nap; the rougher the surface, the longer the nap. When painting kitchens and bathrooms that generally have walls with a smooth finish, we recommend a 1/4” to 3/8” nap. For bedrooms or hallways that may have a light textured surface, a 3/8” to 1/2” nap is considered best. Check the chart below for proper nap size recommendations.


NAP                SURFACES

1/4” to 3/8”     Smooth Surfaces — Metal, Drywall, Smooth Wood, Smooth Plaster

3/8” to 1/2”     Semi-Smooth Surfaces — Walls, Ceilings, Lightly Textured Drywall


3/4” to 1”        Semi-Rough to Rough Surfaces — Stucco, Medium Texture, Concrete Block


1 ¼” to 1 ½”   Very Rough Surfaces — Stucco, Brick, Rough Shingles, Corrugated Metal



For the best results, always consult with your Dunn-Edwards representative to get expert advice. Because you want “only the best” for each of your projects, having a better understanding of the right roller cover for you is the perfect kickoff for any new job.


Remodeling and Home Design
First Name* Last Name* Email*
Customer Type* Zip/Postal Code* Confirm Email